Sunday, January 15, 2012


My first week of leave and i am delighted....i am knee deep in marking off jobs on the TO DO list...cleaning, organizing...maintaining the vehicles....doing art, blogging, and being free....I have already accomplished much and take joy in the fact that there is more to do....I am spending a bit of money resupplying and purchasing equipment for the coming spring and summer but it is necessary...

My recommendation for Pizza and movie night this week is the hysterically funny
Tucker and Dale vs. Evil......

A comedy centering on two hillbillies who wouldn't hurt a fly, who can barely fish because it hurts them....being attacked in the woods by a group of college students on vacation---because the college kids think the two hillbillies are something out the hills have eyes kinda thing....I know it sounds strange and it is--but it works...this is a very funny movie once it gets started...and smart...taking on the whole Hollywood hillbilly slasher genre.... i can't explain this little gem of a movie well enough, you just have to see it and laugh your ass off---it's on Netflicks streaming at the moment.....

Of course it's Canadian, it's funny and SMART!



I have managed to live up to one of my 2012 resolutions--to do more art. I am less a sketcher..than i am an overly involved doodler i suppose---but whatever i am i am back doing stuff---some good, of course some lousy----with the recent opportunity of time, i cleaned my ink technical pens and my fountain pens today..ordered a dozen 5x7 canvas plates and treated myself to to 5"by 7" wooden artist travel box illustrated below.
I can carry a Moleskine notebook & multiple pencils/pens within---but it will also carry my travel watercolor set and a 5x7 canvas plate to work on in the lid. The entire box will fit nicely in my daily rucksack I take to work.......I've had a small watercolor kit for some time but no methodology to use it---perhaps this will help create art when i feel like it either around the house or on the go......it felt REALLY good to clean my art equipment--and resupply...it's been something i have wanted to do for a long time...and it feels good to being do art just for the sake of doing it again....


Our emergency food storage is nearing a true one year supply. I have tried to mix sources---commercial dehydrated both pouch and #10 cans---MRE's---bulk grains--and corporate canned goods. The purchase this month was six cans of Spam and Cheese for $15.00. A bit over $2.00 per can-- the cheese element was important--I do have a half a case of just canned cheese, but variety items such as this spam experiment are essential if one is living off stored supplies just to maintain appetites. A can of Spam and cheese will also fit fine in a BDU pant pocket and can be eaten cold. Excellent as a stretcher with whatever you may have been able to obtain in trade or gathering as well....Spam is there nothing it can't do??



Required new boots for work--and I purchased Palladium, black canvas high top boots...I have a pair of OD green in canvas high top, but this color is more for off-work time---so I am investing in a new pair in black and 1/2 of a size larger since my OD's are the tiniest bit small...Palladium was the official boot of the French Foreign Legion after World War, and the canvas models have remained unchanged since 1948...I like that very, very much....


I was working on the compost pile and cleaning the side driveway meanwhile my wife, JoJo, was saving us money and expanding the independence of the homestead...apparently in our area of New Mexico, a gallon of standard Tide detergent is now $24.00---hard to believe isn't it?---My wife, found a do it yourself recipe and built our own liquid laundry detergent......... a gallon, for less than a dollar and re-filled and re-purposed two empty, tide, plastic, dispenser jugs with her creation at the same time. As society consumes itself through greed we must become more and more capable of self-creating replacements for every day items. Strange also how things work out----my military surplus clothing requires no fancy detergents to wash so one logical event feeds or assists another.... elements that one can invest in to resist corporate greed, help each other develop systems against that same corporate usury.


"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh."
Robert A. Heinlein


No comments: