Saturday, August 25, 2007

these are the days of the laptop dance.I did a number of small jobs releated to my computing systems...nothing really special. I got a FLIKR account for posting photo's and attempted,(repeat attempted) to figure out how to use it. I've been prowling ebay looking for a new type of system without positive results..and reorganized my laptop bag for work. Just stuff. I have been thought experimenting many concepts for my personal digital world...for example I am considering purchasing, used of course, a program called Dragon Naturally Speaking.
This is a voice recognition program for one’s computer which allows for the spoken word to be translated into documentation.
I have read the reviews of this program and although there are advantages and drawbacks that i can see to this type of program. One speaks into a headset mike for translation, rather than the physical act of keyboard typing. I cannot know for sure how viable this concept really is. This dictate to word perfect on one’s laptop is something that you have to have and work with to find out if it is truly useful or not. There is no way one can visualize it working and have a true feel for what this system ….i need to search and locate a viable used version first and then research the program and determine if I wish to follow through and purchase this item for use. This may be the method I have been looking for to speed up my production of written material and to accomplish many of the internal tasks I have set for myself. I did read an interesting interview with a "science novelist" in wired magazine some time ago who advised that he wrote his books using this system. That the keyboard and the process of typing interrupted the creative process…interesting…could a simple program like this take one’s creative process’s to new levels?

Technological archeology: (I love to make up my own terms such as this..)I am also researching Sony’s UPG UX-50 PDA. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AQFZ9/ref=dp_cp_ob_title_1/105-0007922-6093253?ie=UTF8&coliid=IF6HMJ8X25PNP&colid=1DRH6GFA2D2YJ
A tiny, screen and keyboard,(about the size of a pack of cigarettes) wireless internet email thumber, matrix searching, video playing rascal of an item. I have asked myself "why do I want this, what can it do for me that I am not already capable of doing?"…and the answer, I have decided is that when it comes to technology, there need not be a true actual usage necessary for the item in question.
I know, I know, cop out you’re thinking but wait a moment…..
The overall, overriding, premise is to understand and learn a new, a different system, to comprehend a completely different method or maneuvering of technology. That’s the case with this uber small, Sony PDA. I want to do my best to understand the thumbing culture, brief texting on the move—I want to see if there are viable technological substitutes to the subnotebook, understand how these systems operate. To understand not only the technology but the social capital behind this "new to me" system.Sony has already stopped making these in the techno race---perfect fodder for me as a used item.
The hunt for accessory items such as memory sticks, wireless, and software for this now older system is also tremendous fun. Prowling the net hunting "like new" material for a system that has already been replaced by the new new thing is a cool hobby within itself. Then sitting down, plotting out and attempting to make this object work as it should is tech archeology at its finest. I believe that the interest in technology is for me, the understanding, the hunt, the learning process and making something work on the cheap…all addictive and fascinating for me.
I’ve conquered blogging wireless, writing and designing the blog on sub-notebook’s and it would be extremely interesting to discover if I could possibly blog. entirely, off of a PDA. In some ways that would be the ultimate mobile communicating…...
Digital wandering led me to free spirit sphere's---a canadian(?)company constructing hand made, wooden sphere's designed as suspended treehouses. The internal design/layout appears much like a fine crafted boat, and the exterior is, as you can see, most excellent very,very coolio...transportable to your site by plain old pickup truck---a suspension system for a walkway up to the sphere, which has an internal drop-down door-ladder...what a unique home world this would provide--go here for more information it's a happy, home made. sort of site.

I've completed the cyber-noir novel "13" by Richard Morgan and recommend it...an excellent read of a possible future path with genetic manipulation, corporate warfare through their own,owned police forces--the US broken into three different countries--the south becoming an independent area declaring themselves as "jesusland". A very interesting read..after completing "13" I started in on a book i have been very focused on reading which is, counter-culture to cyber-culture by Fred Turner. This book basically attempts to delinate and explain the social pathing that the 'communalist' element of the 1960's counterculture took in helping to develop cyber-culture with the idea of creating a "digital Utopia". Stewart Brand of the whole earth catalog--which was the first book to help me to believe that i was not alone in my alternative thoughts on living... is a major player in this social transistion. The acknowledgement that Haight Asbury was always a small undercurrent in silicone valley has rippled beneath the surface of things and as i read this book, i find the social shifting fascinating. More to come on this book as i progress into it.

time for disgusting politics..Gonzales, Bush's attorney general resigns--finally--as we all said during watergate--guilty,guilty,guilty--my personal crusade against contractor's raping the american taxpayer has better than ever evidence courtesy of Rolling Stone magazine. They have just published an outstanding expose' of the theft of our funds, our future by Bush's buddies--called "the great Iraq swindle"--it is too good to summarize but if you are one of the last thinking human beings you need to go here and read this:
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/16076312/the_great_iraq_swindle
i believe that history will prove that this administration was one of the most corrupt in modern times. This robbery of the US treasury will have destroyed our future, our retirement, our infrastructure.. Although the american public may be too far gone down the rabbit hole of stupidity--i can only hope that the massive overkill of thievery which can be laid on this administration may be the straw that breaks the camel's back. That this overwhelming evidence may spell the end for the right wing-conservative, christian alliance as a true power structure. The end of the deer hunting with jesus crowd going to washington-- I know,i know but i have to be able to hope, don't i? With this i publish....




No comments: