Wednesday, August 22, 2007

I actually hate it when i uncover information that supports my depressive side regarding the american public in general. Such is the case with the recent article advising that 1 in 4 americans did not read a single book--NOT A LONE, SINGLE, ONE, UNO book this entire year!
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3507898 Do you think it is a mere coincidence that this is the same nation that elected Bush? This is not a circumstance whereupon we as a society technologically have "grown beyond" books---this to me is the result, the end product of a systematic approach to destroying the intelligence level of the american public. I believe that the behind the scenes power, decided years ago that a stupid-cow like public is so much easier to dominate than an intelligent-well read public.There was a time period in this country when the organized power structure was at war with and afraid of the intelligent, the social activist college student..the late 60's and early 70's. The corruption of this activist block stopped the movement for change in this country... At some future date I will write in detail regarding this conspiracy theory of mine-- it may get me in the grassy-knoll hall of fame, at the national bizzare conspiracy museum.........but a man's gotta have a goal.
SPOOK COUNTRY
I just finished "Spook Country" by William Gibson http://www.williamgibsonbooks.com/index.asp
---extremely interesting in the way only Gibson can be---great characters---pretty much zero for a plotline. Gibson’s characters always make his books. Gibson’s characters are so engaging that to me, an actual plot truly becomes unnecessary. You grab onto his characters and wish to follow the lives of these people in the book and see what develops. You sort, of flow along blindly with these people through their lives. One goes where the book itself takes them. No matter if you are reader or character. Set in 2006 Spook Country’s occupants are:
A junkie Russian translator: held captive by
A maybe government\maybe not operative
Following a Cuban family who are all trained as spies working with
A GPS hacker into street virtual reality art who’s being chased by a former punk rocker turned journalist….
How’s that for a tangled web of personalities? If your mind is at all open, buy this book!
I will on occasion order several books at a time after thinking, and window shopping the internet just received three books I purchased in this manner--- "Counter culture to cyber culture" by Fred Turner, "The world without us"by Alan Weisman, and "13" by Richard Morgan. This should make for an interesting reading blender of science, societal observation and science fiction…just the way I like my imaginary word worlds---razor girls, statistical analysis and hippies-hackers what more could you possibly want.
I’ve started this reading buffet with the first few pages of "13"---http://www.powells.com/biblio/18-9780345485250-0
I like Morgan’s prose and construction of the future…his characters are also very film noir like-- which is tremendously appealing to me…only a few pages in and I am very happy with 13 regardless of the fact that the plot line falls somewhat into the blade runner bracket—a plot having been done once before does not stop me from appreciating both good story construction and good characterization. I’ve completely enjoyed Morgan’s TASHKI KOVACS series of books, I expect to enjoy "13" as well based on the chapters. Mogran to me is the post-cyberpunk perfect author.
"World without us"http://www.powells.com/biblio/1-9780312347291-4is9780312347291-4is a thought experiment on the premise of what would the world be like if humans disappeared tomorrow--- which turned into a fact science based book. Some have critiqued the book as radical, wishful thinking environmentalism at it’s worst. Although I have not cracked the cover as of yet, I find the concept of the New York City Subway system turning into an underground river if humans disappear to be extremely thought provoking. The actual end product of this thought experiment—the book, how it reads and if it makes you think will be the ultimate test.
"Counter-culture to Cyber-culture" http://www.powells.com/biblio/65-9780226817415-0
is a semi-history, a reality story telling of how specific people and some segments of the original 60’s counter culture moved into the new, baby like cyber world at it’s beginning. The book supposedly also links the similarity between the hippie and the original hacker worlds and where these reality maps overlapped for a time. I find this concept hits home since I was one of those individuals who had built the RAMPARTS magazine, phone phreak, "blue box" (although mine was built into a big ol’ strike anywhere kitchen matchbox) at my "crash pad" so to say. Cheating the phone company at the time was not only considered a righteous act of the revolution, but---was the first intro to making technology work for you and not the "man". Phone Phreaking--- the grandfather of hacking—with the entire phone company serving as your computer.
First service this week on the Prius—danger..danger---my wife had to show the offical toyota mechanic how to start it, that is of course a 'clue'---I hope things are alright with it the P is running fine as of today---the not knowing how to start it explains quite a bit on how my required oil change went—although living in the middle of nowhere--- and owning a hybrid car------is like being a Tibetan Monk looking for work in Mississippi…..the two items are mutually exclusive.I am looking forward to fall.
(I finally broke the 50 barrier for one day with 50.7 mpg average)
Once the weather cools off working in the garage becomes a possibility again—my master Prius modification plan is to begin work on the aerodynamic, Bonneville Salt Flats wheel covers…for mounting on the prius. The Nerdgasam wheel covers are the next great hybrid project.


I signed up for blog action day...which is a project designed to have the world's bloggers write on one subject on one specific day....Oct.15th and the topic is the environment. http://blogactionday.org/ I enjoy the concept of harnessing as many blogs as you can get, and focus the digital power of alot of hot air, and badly organized opinions directed towards one specific item...who knows what will happen? You should go here and support this. Smart Mobs and the coordinated exchanges of information are the only way to defeat the Haliburtons of the world. Exchange of knowledge and cooperation is power---

i've declared this my offical geek weekend..i will do no real physical work. No lawn mowing, no weedeating or moving rocks..i will do only geek items. Downloading programs, maintaining my computers, re-packing and organizing my computer bag..wandering the web for cool stuff aprreciated only by me..buying something techo-cool,out of date cheap but truly worthless off e
bay.









No comments: