Friday, October 05, 2007



i was traveling on business this week and this "death of a salesman" circumstance cut into my anime time---it should'nt have but it did. When traveling i take my used lifebook as my laptop and leave my brand new XPS at home to protect it.So laptop dvd'ing is out of the question. Airports have become a destructive and scary place to the security hysteria that has never seemed to dissipate (there's too much money in it to help the country become reasonable, i'm sure) so when traveling now i leave the excellent anime playing laptop at home..... I'm planning on making up for this break in my viewing this weekend. I am going to finish viewing the last exile series---so i can move on with my exploration of anime. I did order 'the third, the girl with the blue eye' anime. Girls with swords, a cybertank that talks--the world destroyed and turned into a desert--what's not to like?

i recently found these atchitectural items on the web...the first photo is of a pre-fab. The clarity and clean nature of this pre-fab design really moves me, complex simplicity you know?. Nothing unnecessary...no gingerboxing. This was a display house temporarily set up in this location to demonstrate the options this form of housing is capable of... The second photograph is of an energy efficent home in San Francisco built on an urban lot--displaying that energy independence is not limited to rural building. An energy independent home can be viable, contribute to the neighborhood, and be built, literally anywhere. What i find mucho coolio is the wind generator at the rear of the residence. Another factor is how the exterior form does not blend, but rather enhances the neighborhood by standing out against the more traditional San Francisco dwelling visible in the lower left across the street. This contrast, but stylistic inclusion makes it more appealing to individuals like myself. The final alternative architecture photo for this blog is this little chapel built from all recovered, salvaged--and discarded items..these structures are the 'art-car' of architecture.....
my recent business travel--- was filled with meetings--and more meetings you know? The Chart on the left displays the thought directed drives of individuals when they are, let us say overly-actively-involved with themselves thought wise. This is especially true to me when an individual has a 'personal' involvement in the project under discussion in a meeting...interesting that 60% of the activity on anything in the universe is self-directed-- this also means that at least 60% of meeting input is directed in one way or another towards the selves involved, 60% is probably a low estimate, in a meeting situtation it is without a doubt hitting 80% self directed. I'm planning on following up this thought experiment by paying attention to self-directed concepts within the meeting environment and notating these incidents. It will be an interesting secret experiment----I am also continuing my research on communities and social capital by currently reading a book called "the great good place". A book focused on the importance of coffee shops, bookstores, taverns, the "lost" 3rd meeting places, not your house, not my house, but a public place where we both feel comfortable,where social capital can be created and exchanged and why these type of places are almost non-existant in "edge city" america. I recently returned from tysons corner,virgina. I was totally struck by the lack of anyplace such as this book describes within this mega-suburbia.This location seemed utterly lacking in anything resembling a community---....tremendously bad vibes there... I have only just started studying this concept as it relates, if at all to the US and will advise where this thought pattern leads me. I bought this book from amazon, since there is no place locally like a good coffee shop bookstore, where i could have bought this,and at the same time followed the principles within the book and exchanged social capital!!


I spent the past week being a working adult--i want to spend the long weekend being a geezer geek with zero apologies....




No comments: