Friday, October 19, 2007

Planning ahead right now...for the upcoming small living RV experiment...i always start my planning small, with my personal gear---it's the only way i can begin these types of massive changes---i work my way up from personal gear to the major life change elements of a project--yeah i know, but i consider it a system i suppose--- I started today with how am i going to keep my computing, art, reading, gaming, photography,anime necessitities available for organized micro RV living as well as standard usage & transport in the regular world and for access at work---i am a 'kit' person. I like to organize my personal gear into carriable bags-packs-load bearing gear. Not only does is allow for easy organization at home and makes sure that i have what i need when i need it---- i'm sure this habit is the residue of having a "bug out bag" or "3 mile run bag" handy at all times. (if you know these terms then you know what i mean..) I have come to the conclusion that a regular messenger style bag--just does not have enough room for me to carry my required massive quanities of 'stuff' during my average work day and will definately not allow me to keep everything in an organized specific location during our upcoming RV life experiment...so i ordered two new items today.
The first, a military spec backpack which i saw used as a computer carry bag by an individual on the flickr site 'what's in your bag' http://flickr.com/photos/tags/whatsinyourbag/clusters/
I had never seen this particular item before and researched it down since the design appealed to me when i saw it and it seemed a good fix to my personal gear carry problems....the The MAXPEDITION Falcon backpack (#0503) available though Botach tacital.http://www.botachtactical.com/
The maxpedition backpack is hopefully my solution to the above discussed problem areas. It has two large pockets capable of holding my mini-laptops,and a ton of smaller compartments for books, sketch notebooks, chargers, dvd's, games,and magazines. I also purchased maxpedition's RAT wallet for stand-alone carry of my pda, moleskinne and cell phone, or to attach the RAT to the falcon backpack. This way i am sure to have my commo devices with me. http://www.botachtactical.com/maratwa.html Organization and management of necessities in 434 square living feet will be paramount.An additional requirement is that we will be spending more time at 3rd places. Coffee Shops, bookstores, restaurants, etc. since home will get tough to hang out in if not balanced with places out! At these 'good 3rd places' we want to be able to do our little things at will if possible...so carrying our creative worlds with us is of primary importance.

Everything has to get smaller, things i would usually not think of are now of massive importance...a limited number of electrical outlets and zero space for surrounding access to electrical supply made me just purchase travel (define travel as tiny, well thought out and designed) surge protectors for charging our phones, laptops and usage within our upcoming reduction of space from 4000 square feet to 434 square feet. I know i cannot think of everything--but i'm trying---more on this subject as we progress....
I just found an interesting magazine that i am considering subscribing with simply to insure it's survival: Otaku USA..featuring all things in japanese popular culture referenced to American taste so to say. Anime, gaming, manga, music, design and style are all sort of roled up into one magazine which seems to be very interesting. http://www.otakuusamagazine.com/ if you are into any of this material you should take a moment to search this magazine out on the newsstand... I also finally finished watching the Last Exile series---most excellent---

The Solar decathalon has completed in Washington D.C. This event displays off the grid project houses designed and constructed by a variety of Universities. The houses have to be self-sustaining as a power source and be able to charge an electric vehicle which must be driven a specific number of miles per day. Meals must be prepared for judges in the kitchens, and a specific amount of laundry must be done..basically all household taskings must be capable of being supplied by the self power generation of the house itself....This year Germany is the winner with a beautiful design...i have followed this project for several years now and believe it to be a great example of sponsoring advancements in applied technology.
I love it when cyberpunk novels preceed actual technology---Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash is a great cyberpunk novel from which many of the "sci-fi" elements have made the transition to real life---the Metaverse became 'Second Life' although SL is not i hear in tremendously wide usage....the Kourier skateboard may be another---shown is an electric motor powered skateboard...if only they could do Stephenson's smart wheels it'd be perfect.

a 45.9 mpg week---I had things on my mind you know--lot's of stuff going on and i was not one with the hybrid--no excuses for the low MPG---The Tokoyo motor show had some interesting hybrids however which included this rascally toyota concept vehicle. A hybrid-- with interchangeable rear components like a truck bed or camper--it is cool looking however is it not? Kinda like a Judge Dredd vehicle or whatnot?

I'm up late finishing this--many-many thoughts in my head--worried about this downsizing--what's going to be the result---thinking about life and what i still want to do--what's left, what's coming--how all that great mystery works out in the end you know? At times like these i find it impossible to sleep--thank God for the internet, i would just lie in bed and stare at the ceiling prior to the web---i have more questions in the last 1/4 of my life than in all of the rest of it combined---who knows as time goes on maybe you figure it out alittle more..I can't tell if i am getting wiser about things or just older...i wish all this came with an instruction manual...



No comments: