Friday, July 15, 2011



Spent the last days of vacation completing and cleaning up the last of my personal taskings...back on the job tomorrow---but with that glow of accomplishment----we finally got some rain---my new rain collector blivets worked excellently---it appears as if I have about 500 gallons of water collected from just two short rainfalls which allows me a big sigh of survivalist relief....the garden is beautiful--and producing squash like it was worth something---I spent all of my two weeks off at the house working on projects so my gasoline usage for half a month was NOTHING-ZIP-ZERO---so bite me Dick Cheney you literally heartless bastard....

No progress on anything necessary by our leadership again this week....I do have to admit that I am proud of Obama for hanging tough for tax increases on the rich...It is the only way to put the brakes on our descent into third world nation status----but then again it may be too late for prevention-----The depression is going to last for 20 years and children today will know of no other way of life--I have decided to keep working past my retirement line---a shame because my retirement would create at least three new jobs in replacing me-----but that is a direct result of the Republican politicians and bankers fucking up our world---there are without a doubt hundreds of thousands like me hanging on because of the economic/cultural situtation---if we could, or felt positive toward retirement our leaving the workplace would create half a million new jobs---but that's not going to happen---I am betting we default....we have become too incompetent to do anything else......


I had made a pledge to myself that I would do art again once the nerd cave was rebuilt and reorganized---the tough thing was finding a small, all wood, drafting table to work on. I do a weird kind of precision drawing that requires this type of work table---The metal types available easily but wooden ones, they are more difficult to find and of course the more difficult is my choice-----my first attempt at buying a wooden drafting table from Amazon was a dud...the base came but no top which sort of defeats the purpose I would say----
When it became apparent that no top was coming I contacted Amazon and they were great about an instant refund and a subsequent search on their site turned up a drafting table that was actually more in line with what I wanted as compared to my original order---this is the smallest wooden drafting table I can find and it even comes with a matching wooden stool...which will come in handy on it's own in the nerd cave...so from small tragedies may come success---I hope?? It's not here yet ......


We've recently been reorganizing and eliminating clutter--- the cool thing about this horrible job is that you find hidden treasures you've misplaced....While living in an RV waiting to move into the homestead I did Sim Cities a lot on my old laptop...put away at some point i recently re-discovered it and have downloaded it onto my new laptop---I enjoyed building my own cities and creating societies---it was a tremendous amount of fun for me and I am looking forward it again.....even more so for it is new fun from an old cost---excellent!


I am very much looking forward to the 2011 prequel to John Carpenter's film THE THING...this new prequel film centers on what happened to the Norwegian base that discovered the Thing.
It's strange that I am so interested in this film because both this new film and John Carpenter's version of the original Howard Hawk film, The Thing from another World---violates my primary directive on alien movies---No taking over the bodies of humans---period--zip.
I feel that SF films that have aliens that take over human forms are shit. I like my alien films to have real, bizarre aliens and not something that looks exactly like us or your uncle Bob so that you have to figure out who is an Alien and who isn't---I believe that the Howard Hawk original film has something truly interesting and frightening--a real alien---James Arness...who wants to hang everybody upside down bleeding them dry to feed it's little offspring----so I have to admit that I was surprised that I enjoyed and still watch often John Carpenter's version of The Thing and that I am actually looking forward to the new prequel when it comes out on DVD....
Do yourself a real favor however and rent the excellent Howard Hawk original film---black and white, M1 carbines, Army Air Corp, a big, scary real alien and with scenes that still make you jump out of your seat....



A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of.
Jane Austen




No comments: