Sunday, December 26, 2010

We are lost and confused as a people. Our world balances while our politics, our bankers and our system of reward without work has spread gasoline about us and although we cannot see, we feel as if someone amongst us is holding an unlit match....ready to make the sky into fire.
I cannot help myself when it comes to ultra mobile personal computing.. I just purchased, used, a Fujitsu LifeBook U810 Mini-Notebook. When the U810 (as the U1010) came out 4 years ago in Japan I lusted, oogled, drooled...but the price was simply out of bounds....

There comes a time in the life cycle of computers when the expensive becomes reasonable as the design ages, the capability is the same but age is the enemy of computing hardware. I attempt to find that reasonable zone, buy used and enjoy an excellent tool, one that is no longer the cutting edge, but perfect for me. Running full windows vista, changeable into a tablet format by turning the screen, fingerprint id security system, small enough to fit in a BDU pocket, touchscreen or regular format the U810 will be for my computing on the move. For my mornings at the coffee shop where i write miss you emails to my wife. One can however fit the U810 into a dock ($99.00) and utilize it as a desktop if one wishes....
I am so hoping that what the seller advises is true that my purchase is "like new" for I am completely beside myself at the moment. I will advise with a review and real life photo's when it comes in....


The city of Prichard Alabama's pension fund collapsed in Sept 2009 causing the death of one of it's 150 city retiree's...collapsed as in NO CHECKS as in NOTHING paid to people that worked for 30 years but with many who cannot get SS yet. These were not huge California pensions that you read about, they were regular people's pensions that averaged $12,000.00 only one singular pension was $39,000 per year. The town government just didn't care enough not to steal from the pension fund....that is pretty much the long and short of it and now economists are studying Prichard Alabama to prepare for what is going to happen to the rest of us! Read this and try not to weep.



Straight Razor:
I cut the shit out of myself using my straight razor for the first time and only did one small part of my face....it looked like I was out chumming for sharks with Quint! It is going to take waaaay more time to figure out how to shave with the straight razor than i originally thought....i don't mind taking time to learn...tougher than i thought tho....a good winter project.
Greenhouse:
We have decided to hold on additional solar panels for the house and put our money this year into a full size, full service greenhouse to eat out of next winter....more postings & photo's on this later.
Reading:
"The coming Anarchy" and "Planet of Slums"....
PECANS:
Still shelling and harvesting them off the ground since there is no snow here yet. I am really getting into the gathering part of hunter/gatherer. After all the work so far there is only 1/2 a quart jar of shelled pecans but---a gift from the tree.....to be appreciated.

Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
Oscar Wilde






2 comments:

David Scott said...

Great post Warren. I am like you when it comes to technology. Can't afford the cutting edge I can afford more affordable yesterday tech. Let me know how it works for you.

warren said...

thanks dave
I'll write up a review on the U810 when i get it, it was apparently shipped today...like you yesterday's tech is my way of getting by.
warren