Sunday, April 19, 2009


There has been some advancing and some marching in place for me as of late---
Advancements include:
Almost being able to touch my goal of 30 days of long duration stored  food.
Producing and storing free power from my solar panels------&
The gardens are pretty much all in with as wide a variety of produce possible thanks to my garden goddess wife-- the brains of our urban farming plan.
Last but not least we are a farmers market vendor come July opening day.
Marching in place problems include:
My 110 inverter does not seem to want to provide power to plugged in appliances so I'll have to work on that issue to actually use the power I'm producing and storing.
My vacation did not prevent my grumbling desire to be retired.
Most of all I am still very, very concerned about the state of our society and am becoming more and more of a doomer with every day that passes.
As I've stated in previous blogs working on personal independence as a doomer has really no down side...there are nothing but ups in so far as an investment, since everything one works at can be utilized in a day to day normal life style----my problem is that as time goes on the concept that we are fucked becomes more and more apparent to me. That we Americans are now incapable of technologically swimming out of this swamp that the past 60 years of elitist ruling class leadership has dumped us in.....this i must admit, marks a major change in my personal thought process's and daily mental state. 
Read this from Scientific American for a long term look at what some of our problems are completely outside of the current economic meltdown:
Despite how i feel i am still driving on with a personal agenda of what individuals should do, restructuring how i work within my groups of my town and my work towards a better, smaller, more noble lifestyle----when it all goes away----because as each day goes by i am more and more convinced whatever we think this is that we have built ------- it is going to go away---




i got snuck up on with the tax increase on cigarettes.  I didn't see that one coming for some reason.

Please don't  misunderstand---I'm not some irrational teabagger---higher taxes are going to be required on EVERYTHING very soon and unfortunately cigarettes have borne the tax brunt for a long time---- this new addition to tax per pack just pushed the per pack cost over the edge of reason...(i am always awaiting the lard-ass tax to balance things out but.....) 
The fourfold increase in the cost of a cigarette, from already insane heights, immediately pushed my survivalistic, tin foil covered head into uproar status---regarding these insane costs and possible supply disruptions..... i am now in the process of stocking up on loose tobacco and rolling papers---tobacco i determined absolutely must be the next self-sufficiency storage project.  My first order for roll your own smoke supplies is in today and as time goes by I'm sure that our vacuum sealer machine will be getting a work out securing future cigarette supplies that will become necessary as a hedge against our cultures, seemingly bizarre future.
I realize i can't project every possible need for my Urban Homestead----but i should have been ahead of the game on the cigarette tax issue and am disappointed in myself.

After all my doom and gloom i do not believe i tried to find an  inspiring way to close this so i settled on the inscription on the Georgia Guide stones:

maintain humanity under 500,000,000
in perpetual balance with nature.
Guide reproduction wisely improving fitness and diversity.
Unite Humanity with a living new language.
Rule passion-faith-tradition and all things with tempered reason.
Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
Balance personal rights with social duties.
Prize truth-beauty-love-seeking harmony with the infinite.
Be not a cancer on the earth
leave room for nature
leave room for nature

take care
warren

No comments: