Saturday, March 10, 2012



Every day carry literally saved me at work this week. I guess, realistically, you could say both my EDC and OCD saved me. Friday, we experienced one of those desert weather conditions where suddenly, and I mean suddenly, the temperature fell by 45 degrees, the wind became extreme and it began spitting light snow and sleet on a random basis...this after more than 30 days of insanely spring like weather. This was, for once, a good time that I was me, so to say, for out of my daily carry pack, came a down vest, shemagh, gloves, and goggles...to reinforce an absurdly light leather jacket......Yeah, I was pretty glad I was me that day.

Faced with a projection of another year of extreme drought---we are attempting to do what we can to protect and adapt the homestead for food production. My JoJo, the botanist and soul of our self-sufficient gardening project, has obtained Iraqi tomato seeds and we are sprouting these seedlings in the greenhouse. We are planning a test planting of these tomato's this year.
We needed to face the reality of life here in southeastern New Mexico due to climate change.
To not simply rail against the increases in drought, heat and new strangeness in the weather patterns but to use our intellect to adapt to these changes. We are researching the techniques and patterns of desert peoples and cultures elsewhere in the world to possibly make changes to our protocols. Oasis gardening, new vegetables varieties, alternative watering techniques which other cultures have used with success, as their farmland turned to desertification. The definition of insanity is constantly repeating the same failing process each time with a hope for success---we as a society are doing exactly this against every problem we face----- my wife and i are intent on NOT failing.


Paid Spokesmen, Spin doctors, Wall Street, Government officials all telling us the depression is over, that employment is up, houses are selling and the economy is improving?
Vote for me--go out and spend, happy days are here again!!
Why then I have observed more and more older RV's parked in a stealth manner in my town?
My daily commute includes an area of combined light industry and residential which has been attacked and destroyed by the economic depression. In fact, the research and development building photograph, I use in the blog title, was taken in this area. In this area, full of abandoned industry, junk yards, burnt out modular homes---I have observed multiple RV's parked behind deserted commercial buildings...behind abandoned residences, or in hidden groups apparently squatting this winter.
They move occasionally, sometimes leave the area completely, but appear to be immediately replaced by a different vehicle--as if that particular urban, guerrilla spot is a prime location for persons seeking not to be found out....trying to live as best they can with what the 1% has left them, an old RV...I never actually see a human moving about. I understand completely--these are the perfect urban escape and evade locations to hooch up. Locations I would pick to live for as long as I could under these conditions, liberating power and water from these abandoned businesses if possible. I would not show myself either, attempting to pass as an abandoned vehicle...or an RV parked there by the property owner now long lost, gone to bankruptcy...as have so many. The truth is not to believe what you are being told by the 1% and their lapdogs...use your own eyes and look about you at the changes for the worse that have occurred in our society----do not LISTEN when they tell you where we are as a society or where they want us to believe we are going----use your eyes and see for yourself what they have done to us and where we and all those like us are going to wind up.....use your eyes!

Zero walk out training this week unfortunately. Work itself was very active and I could not find the time during breaks to get away and train...i do consider this a long term process so a minor setback does not upset me greatly---I had been looking forward to using the local, foul weather this past week, as very useful for training, but it simply was not to be.

I ordered and received a leather sheath (previously mentioned) for my Tom Brown tracker 2 knife.


This smaller, black, leather sheath is exactly what this particular knife required. The sheath fits comfortably, horizontally on your belt in the small of the back and although you do know it is there, the leather sheath is much, much more comfortable for all day wear and sitting than the Kydex version. I am very happy with this new larger, knife and sheath combination and am wearing it on a daily basis...something I just could not do with the supplied sheath.



I am absolutely enamored with a set of Riggs Workwear, Wrangler, Loden, ranger pants I purchased as a test. So enamored I just purchased a second pair. These are easily, 20 year pants, very heavy duty, very comfortable, and many, many pockets for my every day carry equipment. These are pants that will be with me through retirement...one of my new required protocols for clothing. The Loden (subdued green) color, new to me, is excellent--these pants are dual purpose with civilian blend in and military function capability. Not cheap, Maybe?
(I guess i have lost track of value other than personal value) they are more of an investment.

Fighting hypothermia in the desert, while on the run, was recently brought to the forefront of my attention in Chris Ryan's excellent book, The One that Got Away.
I therefore acquired a new item for my EDC pack...an Adventure Medical Emergency Bivy sack.
Basically an emergency bag designed to help you retain body heat. Small and lightweight while stored...and relatively inexpensive at $13.00....after reading Ryan's ongoing fight against hypothermia during his escape and evasion i decided for sure that having one of these in my bug out pack was a necessity.


"He who Joyfully marches to music in rank and file
has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake,
since for him the spinal cord would suffice."
Albert Einstein


1 comment:

David Scott said...

You are absolute right on keeping a spare jacket at hand and .layering up is. The best way to keep warm.

Never ever believe what you are told by main stream media. Always believe your eyes and my eyes tell me things are at best remaining the same. Stealth rv living is a big thing. It beats a card board box.